Friday, January 02, 2009

Height of a building

Sukumar tweeted about this article today which made me think if we our thought process was suppressed in our school system or not. Here are my experiences...

All through my education from my 4th standard until my PG I never did home work. Never means really never. I never believed in writing the same stuff from one book (we used to call classwork notebook) to another book (homework book) interesting. The net effect is, my favorite class teacher, Miss Dora Raj (who used to teach Maths, Science, Social, English, Moral Science, GK) used to make me kneel down in the front of the class. My school's HM (we used to call her Big Sister), used to have a break room next to our class. She used to pass through the corridor every single day at 9 AM and she saw me and Naveed(who is my best kneeldown mate). Both my class teacher and my HM never found it strange how one student will never do homework every single day. I find it very odd. Or rather they accepted that as part of the scenary of the corridor :-) .

Next comes exams - I never read anything by heart. I used to write all original answers after understanding the concept. My fav teacher, Miss Dora Raj, when she found that a new student who joined her class (in 4th class), doesnt repeat exactly what she wrote on the blackboard in exams, was very thrilled. She used to encourage me and highlight that fact in front of every one even in school assembly. For a 8 year old kid, it must be a real motivator. I am proud and priveleged to have such a teacher.

But later in all my education, I found that my B.Sc Chemistry lab instructors encouraged us to do things different. We (Sameer, Satish and I) in our final year, changed all experiments which doesnt produce results with the ones that produce results. The older experiments were followed even though obsolete since 1970s. So glad that we had some practical instructors for chemistry practicals.

It also made me think if we as humans by nature try to influence other's ideas or principles. My son who is just 6 months old ofter tries to do things that i dont know. But sometimes I feel uncomfortable and anxious if it would hurt him. After reading the above article about Niel Bohr, I feel ashamed. I will try to change myself and encourage him do things that he finds amusing as long as it is safe - logically not as per my experience.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post Vamsi. thanks for commending my tweet. Don't know if anyone else can claim "never" having done homework. your conclusion interesting - we tend to prevent our children from doing things unfamiliar to us. That is very insightful.

Anonymous said...

BTW your new green template is delicious.

Vamsi said...

Thanks Sukumar. It so happened that I hated the concept of 'work' at home. I used to study for exams though in between few day dreams.

Thanks for your compliment on Green Template

Harini krishna said...

hello bava,,nice to see ur post after a very long time..template is nice.i checked twice to confirm that this is ur page:))
nice to know abt ur baby..

Venkat said...

The things should come to their own feet then only every human understands the value,. it is so happend o vamsi in his education, now he is thinking about his 6months old kid , how is going to shape up in future, to my knowledge it seems vamsi followed his dads foot steps in his education, except in my 11th class examination which I failed once got angry on subjects by heart or chewed the subjects and passed with good marks this helped me to face my HS&MPSLC exam feel easier. So to say let my grandson gets all good education of his own in his own way, but a mother like Kumari(my wife and vamsi's mother) should watch to shape up the carrier.I hope I am not wrong.

Vamsi said...

Thanks Harini. I am glad you liked the template and thanks for your comment.

Vamsi said...

Daddy,
Thanks for your comment. May be it runs in our family to be academically not inclined. Let us see if it improves later

Sridevi said...

Hmm..Where to start..height of the building!! sounds...different..wat matters to me is the destiny and the way to achieve it..If your destiny is clear, solutions will crop up automatically.

Consider the thought of the building with 50 floors.

Wat comes to mind first?
Its big..(Your thought is big..) but if your destiny is to get on the top floor, for you its just a matter of 1 minute (just take a elevator)...So our actions, our thoughts..everything is driven by us..no matter if some one stops you, encourages you , or discourage you, your instinct is wat keeps you alive...

So vamsi dont worry ..your kid is gonna grow the way he is destined to be..He will for sure fall after my princess and i am going to show you the real height, weight , width, depth, color of the building...kudoss man...wait for that day..My destiny will for sure be ACHIEVED....