Saturday, July 19, 2008

Discount Baby Products

2 weeks back my wife delivered a baby boy. So far so good. After the initial euphoria is over, I just did some number crunching... Boy.. babies are expensive.
Diapers - they like to wet them. Sometimes, as frequently as 3 in an hour.
Formula - a fine dining restaurant equivalent
Furniture - cribs, swings, bouncers, sheets, socks....everything costs more than you think they should cost
Doctor visits - they need it more than I thought. And did I mention anything about cord blood cryo storage. Let us not even go there
Toys - my son looks at nature and doesnt pay attention even to the most expensive one. But since we want to give the best, we spent quite some. Once he grows a bit big, then I see this bucket one of the biggest.
Education - If your state has no good public schools, then you are talking of 15 Grand or more..per year
Travel gear - car seat, stroller, booster seat...

What amazes me is almost every item under the sun has discounts these days. But even on Amazon, I dont see any discount price for any baby product. Even if it is there it is less than 1% average. Is it a syndicate/ racket?

But my son's smile at me in a playful mood...it is priceless

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats. One of my clients told me by the time the baby reaches 21 one spend 899, 984 $ and hence one shouldn't have babies !

Vamsi said...

Thanks Sukumar. It is scary :-) I read in Time that this year USA has maximum number of new babies since baby boomer days. If that is true, why are there any discounts. I agree child products go through stronger QA and development process. But still.

Anonymous said...

Vamsi - Congrats!

The little tykes are very expensive, aren't they?

Yes, I think the stores play on guilt. Guilt parents feel if they don't get the best things for their kids.

Anonymous said...

Everyone wants the best for their children but one has to use common sense also, children grow fast why spend untold dollars on something thats the child is only going to use for a couple of months or less unless you going to hand it down to next and so on.
The beat thing to do when buying baby gear is to get "used gear" and save some money.

Vamsi said...

Correct Jenet. That is a way to go.

Anonymous said...

Congrats dude.

Vamsi said...

Thanks Vasanth. I should trackback comments better.

Venkat said...

yes, yes, now as a father you are getting the small pinch of spending on your beloved son we have two sons still we are spending lots of love kisses to them even though they are grown up, can we me and your mom expect that you and your brother spare or extend the same love and kisses to your kids, and how many kids are expected to both you and kiran. In fact our spending on you both I feel very low due to our family economy, I am thankful to your mom who is working even now earning good salary and had a great position in her job as a divisional manager in Insurence, who supported me all the way of rearing my children. So shall we say kudos to your mummy who helped our family empire to build to this height. I love you, kiran, sandhya,kalpana,sarosh kalyan poondla and let us all love your mummy kumari.okay.

Venkat said...

Again and again coming back to baby products yes no company allows huge discounts or rebates on baby products to tell you about your child hood I used to get baby food which is a demand product running in preimium price through my dealer friends and used get them back home on every visit back to home town Nellore.